My OpenVPN likes to have difficulty and go yellow from time to time. The problem with this is twofold – I have any and all downloads stop at the absence of VPN, and when I’m not home connecting to my server is more difficult when VPN has hundged up. The simplest fix for now is just to restart/reconnect VPN on the daily.
I use OpenVPN with PIA.
First thing to do is create a autologin VPN profile. See how to do that here. Yes yes, there are inherent security issues with this. Obviously if you’re worried about that you’re not in the market for this solution in the first place.
After creating and testing your autologin, create a daily task (preferably at a time when you know your host box will be idle). Add the following Actions:
Setting –connect in the third program start to point to the .ovpn file you created for autologin. Make sure to set this task to Run with highest privileges to avoid UAC prompts interrupting the process.
At my POE we use virtual printers for all manner of file production. It’s annoying. What’s more annoying is when it’s time to upgrade a server using virtual printers. Thankfully there’s a way to sorta kinda help the process, by sorta kinda easing the migration process. The following screenshots are from Windows 2012 R2. If you’re using a different Windows OS level your mileage may vary. It’s my understanding that the titles of some of this differs by OS.
What’s happening here is, because the notes demand to use Segoe Print as the font, you’re changing what font Segoe Print actually is. Replace the .ttfs with fonts of your choice.
There are also a myriad of shortcuts for modifying existing note text:
Ctrl+B – Bold text Ctrl+I – Italic text Ctrl+T – Strikethrough Ctrl+U – Underlined text Ctrl+Shift+L – Bulleted (press once) or Numbered (press twice) list Ctrl+Shift+> – Increased text size Ctrl+Shift+< – Decreased text size Ctrl+A – Select all Ctrl+Shift+A – Toggles all caps Ctrl+L – Left aligns text Ctrl+R – Right aligns text Ctrl+E – Centers text Ctrl+Shift+L – Small Alpha list (3rd), Capital Alpha list (4th), small roman (5th), Capital roman (6th) Ctrl+1 – Single-space lines Ctrl+2 – Double-space lines Ctrl+5 – Set 1.5-line spacing Ctrl+= – Subscript Ctrl+Shift++ – Superscript
IIS. I’m not a fan. But it’s a requirement where I work, so there you go. Occasionally one of our IIS servers will slow to a crawl or stop responding altogether. Often it’s a application pool run amok. An app pool is essentially a container that holds the processes of a web application. And if your web application isn’t written well, and doesn’t have decent controls in it, it can go nuts. If someone can, say run an open ended database query with the potential to return a bajillion records because your app doesn’t disallow this sort of irresponsible behavior, the app pool containing that process is going to fill. And fill. And fill, eventually gobbling all your processor cycles. An easy way to discern this is if the process w3wp.exe is pegging your CPU at 99%. Find this in Task Manager.
We’ve used a variety of third party tools to monitor Active Directory domain account changes. They’ve all either been expensive or kind of sucked (or, unfortunately, both). But if you’re running a relatively new OS on your controller you can use the magick of Powershell to ship you alerts on account changes! Powershell can monitor the local Security Event Log on your controller and ship you an email when events matching your description are entered. Here’s an example Powershell script:
Tonight was our maintenance window at work, and I updated a bajillion virtual servers. Went OK save for one Windows 2008 r2 box that got stuck in a reboot loop. Updates failed, so I bounced the box to start fresh. It would begin boot, show the dialogs for installing/configuring updates, reach “Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3,” and crater. Repeat infinitely. Thankfully the fix was easy. I mounted and booted from the 2008 Server ISO and:
Selected to Repair
Selected the Command Prompt option
Executed the command del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml (actually because it was a virt the drive wasn’t C, but you get the idea)