I actually finished this awhile ago, but I’ve been engrossed in things other than posting to sites no one sees.
After opting to forgo fancy wire cabling deck rails in the name of being frugal, I decided to go traditional with the two unsafe areas of the lower deck that needed railing. In the process I managed to recycle a lot of materials from that left at the house by the previous owner.
The other side. The railing here wasn’t missing, but what was there wasn’t tied in correctly on either side, and was wibbly and loose. It was also constructed by the ubiquitous brad nailer the previous owner so loved to use on everything.
So I tore it all out and redid it, including redoing the stair bannister. It’s much better. You can get an idea of the “quality” of workmanship I’ve been dealing with by scoping out the rail on the upper deck. It really seems like the railings were total afterthoughts. I’ll be redoing the upstairs next. Then I’ll put a sloped ceiling above the lower deck to divert precipitation and we’ll paint the whole mess something purty.